Drug and Alcohol Statistics in Kentucky

Specific Data and Statistics on Drug Usage in Kentucky

SAMHSA - the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration - reported in 2010 that a total of 25,428 people enrolled for alcohol and drug rehab services in Kentucky. Of this number, 33.1 percent were female while the remaining 66.9 percent were male.

The same report showed that opioids - not including heroin - accounted for 28.2 percent of all these admissions. This goes to show that this class of drugs is the most commonly abused substance in the state according to treatment admissions. Opioids are closely followed by alcohol and marijuana at admission rates of 18.8 percent and 16.7 percent respectively.

Other studies have shown that close to 50 percent of all drug and alcohol treatment centers in the state also provide additional mental health treatment services. However, only about 14 percent of all these centers have medically managed detox services.

Commonly Abused Substances in Kentucky

Today, drug and alcohol abuse and addiction problems are plaguing the entire nation and the rates of substance abuse continue rising by the day. The following are some of the most commonly abused drugs in Kentucky:

a) Alcohol

The rates of alcohol abuse and addiction in Kentucky in the past year have historically been below or at the same rates as those seen on the national stage. Similarly, the rates of unmet treatment needs for people aged above 12 who abuse this substance in the same were below or at the same national rates. However, the rates are among the lowest across the United States for people between the ages of 18 and 25.

That said, a total of 4159 people checked into alcohol addiction treatment centers in Kentucky in 2010 alone. An additional 3247 people received similar services for abusing alcohol alongside another secondary substance.

b) Prescription Drugs

Some of Kentucky's counties are consistently ranked among the top in the United States in terms of the rates of narcotic pain medications that are distributed for every individual. In 2010, these substances lead to 6249 admissions into treatment centers across the state.

However, reports show that oxycodone and hydrocodone are among the most commonly abused prescription medications in Kentucky. People who abuse these drugs either have a valid medical prescription or they use them for a non-medical reason.

c) Cocaine

Kentucky has also seen an increase in the availability of cocaine. The purity and price of this substance has been relatively stable for several years now. In 2010, a total of 1178 people checked into drug rehabs in the state for smoking the drug. Of this number, 51.5 percent were female while the remaining 48.5 percent were male.

d) Heroin

Unlike other American states, Kentucky has relatively low rates of heroin abuse. This is because the drug is relatively limited in the state. Even so, 1062 people checked into drug rehabs for abusing heroin in 2010.

e) Marijuana

Kentucky continues struggling with a major marijuana abuse and addiction crisis. This makes the drug one of the most significant substance threats in the state. According to the ONDCP - the Office of National Drug Control Policy - Kentucky is among the five states within the American marijuana belt.

f) Methamphetamine

Both crystal meth and regular methamphetamine are serious drug threats across the state - particular within its rural areas. The abuse of these drugs have also been increasing at relatively alarming rates.

In 2010, Kentucky recorded one of the highest numbers of meth labs in the United States. The same year, a total of 1027 people checked into drug rehabs in the state for being addicted to amphetamine.

Number of Rehabs Available in Kentucky

According to the last US Census, Kentucky has a total population of about 4,043,455. Among these people, there are some who take intoxicating substances. The most commonly abused drugs in the state include Subutex, sonata, Restoril, GHB, codeine, OxyContin, hydrocodone, cocaine, meth, heroin, marijuana, and alcohol. At some point, they eventually find that they need to check into a drug rehab center to get help in overcoming their growing addiction.

Luckily, the state has a total of 285 facilities that provide a wide variety of addiction treatment and rehabilitation services. These facilities are classified into inpatient and outpatient drug rehabs.

If you have been struggling with a substance use disorder in Kentucky, you can check into one of these centers to start the journey to recovery. It is also recommended that you understand all your treatment options as well as how recovery works. By so doing, you will be able to choose the right type of drug rehab for your particular situation.

Types of Rehab Available in Kentucky

Due to the diversity of the addiction related problems plaguing the residents of Kentucky, there are different forms of addiction treatment in this state. NIDA - the National Institute of Drug Abuse - for instance reports that the state is ranked among the leading 10 in terms of death linked to opioid overdoses.

Irrespective of the types of drugs that you abuse and the form of addiction that you have, the state has several treatment programs that can help you deal with it. Some of the addiction treatment services that you can receive in Kentucky include:

  • Inpatient drug rehab
  • Outpatient drug rehab
  • Dual diagnosis treatment if you have a co-occurring mental health or medical disorder over and above your substance use disorder
  • Medically managed detox services
  • Additionally, you might be able to enjoy specialized drug rehabilitation services in the state, including but not limited to:
  • Adventure and wilderness programs that could inspire and challenge you through various outdoor activities
  • Equine and pet therapy that incorporates animals for healing and recovery
  • Holistic treatment programs that provide complementary therapies like mindfulness practices, massage therapy, and yoga
  • Luxury programs that offer high end activities and amenities, including gourmet cuisine and spa treatments

It is essential that you remain committed to achieving a state of sobriety during your recovery. By so doing, you will be able to enjoy a more productive lifestyle once you are done with addiction treatment in Kentucky.

Hospital Statistics from Drug Overdoses and Drug Related Admissions in Kentucky

Research studies report that the rates of overdose deaths in Kentucky related to drugs and alcohol more than quadrupled from 2001 to 2014. Others show that fatalities from these overdoses got to the highest point by 2016. This was at a rate of close to 24 lives lost for every 100,000 residents of Kentucky. The number was close to double the total national rate.

Additionally, since 2012:

  • Overdose death rates related to heroin abuse and addiction more than doubled
  • Death rates linked to a synthetic opioid overdose - especially fentanyl - more than quadrupled
  • Additionally, the Office of Drug Control Policy in Kentucky reported in 2016 that:
  • 26 percent of drug overdose deaths reported that Xanax (Alprazolam) was present
  • Fentanyl, both by itself and in combination with drugs like heroin, was linked to 47 percent of all overdose deaths
  • Heroin was one of the drugs present in close to 34 percent of all overdose deaths in the state
  • Hydrocodone (such as Norco and Vicodin) was linked to 16 percent of drug overdose deaths in the state
  • Morphine was the controlled substance that was most commonly detected; it contributed to close to 45 percent of all drug overdose deaths
  • Overdose deaths most significantly affect people aged between 35 and 44 years
  • Oxycodone (including Percocet and OxyContin) was present in about 19 percent of all drug overdose deaths.

The state has also seen an increase in the rates of overdose death linked to prescription pain relief medications. These drugs are often fueled by the excess supplies of medications that are sent to physicians and pharmacists, pill mills, and a systemic combination of high unemployment and poverty rates across Kentucky.

The overdose problem is so widespread that almost all of the counties in the state witnessed at least one fatality in 2016 alone. The Office of Drug Control Policy in Kentucky also reported that the opioid epidemic had hit several counties much harder than others in the United States. These counties included:

  • Bell County
  • Boone County
  • Campbell County
  • Fayette County
  • Gallatin County
  • Jefferson County
  • Kenton County
  • Leslie County
  • Powell County

If you live in any of these counties and you have been struggling with a drug and alcohol related problem, it is recommended that you check into any of the addiction treatment programs in Kentucky. This way, you will be able to receive the recovery services that you need to escape your risk of suffering a drug overdose that could potentially turn out to be fatal.

Statistics on Drug Arrests in Kentucky

About 25 percent of all federally sentenced cases involving drug offenses in Kentucky in 2006 were linked to methamphetamine and crystal meth. In 2007, the state had a total of 48 drug courts.

The previous year in 2006, the state reported 56,376 arrests linked to violations of drug laws. The same year, there were a total of 1,351 traffic collisions involving drivers who were intoxicated after taking drugs or drinking alcohol. Over 200 of all these collisions turned out to be fatal.






Ready To Get Help?

We can help you find the right treatment facility in Kentucky that best fits your overall needs.

Fill out this form.
100% Free and Confidential